bulimia nervosa. Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa are both eating disorders and sometimes share certain symptoms, such as an intense fear of gaining weight or a distorted body image. However, people with anorexia often restrict food intake, exercise excessively, or adopt extreme diet patterns to lose weight.
What are the Behavioural symptoms of bulimia?
- Eating excessive amounts of food.
- Self-induced vomiting.
- Abuse of laxatives and diuretics.
- Excessive exercising.
- Extreme fluid intake.
What are 5 warning signs of bulimia?
- Episodes of binge eating.
- Self-induced vomiting.
- Smelling like vomit.
- Misuse of laxatives and diuretics.
- Complaining about body image.
- Expressing guilt or shame about eating.
What are 5 physical effects of bulimia?
- low blood pressure and irregular heart rate.
- dry skin.
- decreased electrolyte levels and dehydration.
- esophageal ruptures from excessive vomiting.
- gastrointestinal problems.
- irregular periods.
What symptom is a primary characteristic of bulimia?
As outlined in the DSM, binge eating is one of the primary symptoms of Bulimia Nervosa. A binge involves eating, in a short period of time, an amount of food that is larger than most individuals would eat under similar circumstances.
What are 3 effects of bulimia?
Bulimia can permanently damage your stomach and intestines, causing other problems like constipation, diarrhea, and irritable bowel syndrome. Hormonal problems. Reproductive issues, including irregular periods, missed periods, and fertility problems are common side effects when you have bulimia.
What are 3 signs that a person may have anorexia or bulimia?
- Dramatic weight loss.
- Wearing loose, bulky clothes to hide weight loss.
- Preoccupation with food, dieting, counting calories, etc.
- Refusal to eat certain foods, such as carbs or fats.
- Avoiding mealtimes or eating in front of others.
What are five signs that someone may have an eating disorder?
- Alterations in Weight.
- Preoccupation With Body Image.
- Disruptions in Eating Patterns.
- Preoccupation With Nutritional Content.
- Changes in Exercise Patterns.
- Mood Fluctuations.
- Use of Laxatives, Diuretics, or Diet Pills.
What are the 5 symptoms of anorexia?
- Extreme weight loss or not making expected developmental weight gains.
- Thin appearance.
- Abnormal blood counts.
- Dizziness or fainting.
- Bluish discoloration of the fingers.
- Hair that thins, breaks or falls out.
Which behaviors are associated with purging?
Purging refers to ridding the body of food and/or calories consumed in order to lose weight or prevent weight gain. Self-induced vomiting, laxative abuse, diuretic abuse, enemas and excessive exercise are well-known purging behaviors.
What are 8 health problems that come as a result of bulimia?
Other long-term consequences of bulimia include damage to the kidneys, increased risk of kidney stones and kidney failure, diabetes, high cholesterol, hormonal imbalances, fertility problems, chronic dehydration, chronic fatigue, and electrolyte imbalances.
What are 3 physiological changes that occur with bulimia nervosa?
Physiological effects of bulimia nervosa on the gastrointestinal tract include dental caries and enamel erosion; enlargement of the parotid gland; esophagitis; changes in gastric capacity and gastric emptying; gastric necrosis; and alterations of the intestinal mucosa.
Which best describes a characteristic of bulimia nervosa?
Bulimia nervosa The primary characteristic of bulimia is recurrent episodes of binge eating, after which a person will purge. An episode may involve overeating and then vomiting, using laxatives, or administering enemas to eliminate the consumed calories.
What are 3 common behaviors or habits of people with bulimia?
- Being preoccupied with your body shape and weight.
- Living in fear of gaining weight.
- Repeated episodes of eating abnormally large amounts of food in one sitting.
- Feeling a loss of control during bingeing — like you can’t stop eating or can’t control what you eat.
Which of the following traits is common among people with bulimia nervosa?
Common symptoms of bulimia nervosa include (1): recurrent episodes of binge eating with a feeling of lack of control. recurrent episodes of inappropriate purging behaviors to prevent weight gain. self-esteem overly influenced by body shape and weight.
What characterizes the eating pattern of people with bulimia nervosa?
Individuals with bulimia nervosa typically alternate dieting, or eating only low calorie “safe foods” with binge eating on “forbidden” high calorie foods. Binge eating is defined as eating a large amount of food in a short period of time associated with a sense of loss of control over what, or how much one is eating.
What are the 6 signs of anorexia nervosa?
- Purging for Weight Control. Share on Pinterest.
- Obsession With Food, Calories and Dieting.
- Changes in Mood and Emotional State.
- Distorted Body Image.
- Excessive Exercise.
- Denial of Hunger and Refusal to Eat.
- Engaging in Food Rituals.
- Alcohol or Drug Abuse.
What are the 7 examples of disordered eating patterns?
- Binge eating disorder.
- Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID)
- Other specified feeding and eating disorder (OSFED)
What are 3 examples of disordered eating behaviors?
Disordered eating may include restrictive eating, compulsive eating, or irregular or inflexible eating patterns. Dieting is one of the most common forms of disordered eating. Australian adolescents engaging in dieting are five times more likely to develop an eating disorder than those who do not diet (1).
What are 4 characteristics of anorexia nervosa?
Anorexia nervosa is characterized by emaciation, a relentless pursuit of thinness and unwillingness to maintain a normal or healthy weight, a distortion of body image and intense fear of gaining weight, a lack of menstruation among girls and women, and extremely disturbed eating behavior.
What are four red flags that indicate someone may have an eating disorder?
Increased talk about food, weight, calories, fat, etc. Complaining of being cold (especially fingers and toes) Increased consumption of diet soda or water. Increased perfectionism.
Which of the following are symptoms or warning signs of anorexia nervosa?
- You don’t eat enough, so you’re underweight.
- Your self-esteem is based on the way your body looks.
- You are obsessed with and terrified of gaining weight.
- It’s hard for you to sleep through the night.
- Dizziness or fainting.
- Your hair is falling out.
- You no longer get your period.
What are the symptoms of not eating enough?
- Fatigue. Share on Pinterest Undereating can lead to a person becoming fatigued.
- Getting ill more often. Undereating can also lead to an imbalanced diet.
- Hair loss.
- Reproductive difficulties.
- Constantly feeling cold.
- Impaired growth in young people.
- Skin problems.
What are signs of starvation?
- reduced appetite.
- lack of interest in food and drink.
- feeling tired all the time.
- feeling weaker.
- getting ill often and taking a long time to recover.
- wounds taking a long time to heal.
- poor concentration.
- feeling cold most of the time.
What is bulimia face?
When a person has been engaging in self-induced vomiting regularly and they suddenly stop engaging in the behaviour, their salivary glands in front of their ears (cheeks) may begin to swell. This makes their cheeks look swollen.